南島原市から世界遺産を

原城跡

   南島原市から世界遺産をTOP  >  原城跡

 

 

原城は、戦国時代の有馬氏の重要な城であり、1637(寛永14)年に勃発した島原・天草一揆の舞台となった城である。

 

城は、海岸に突き出した丘に築かれ、本丸、二ノ丸、三ノ丸、天草丸、鳩山出丸などから構成されている。周囲は約4km、東は有明海、西と北は一部をのぞいて低湿地に囲まれた天然の要害であった。

 

本丸は石垣で囲まれ出入口は桝形となり、織田信長や豊臣秀吉の時代に完成された石積み技術が用いられ、近世城郭の特徴をもった。その特徴は、高い石垣、建物に瓦を使用、建物を礎石上に備えていた点である。一方、二ノ丸、三ノ丸は自然の地形を活かした土づくりであった。

 

イエズス会宣教師の報告書のなかにも記述があり、文禄・慶長の役後に有馬晴信が居住している日野江城よりも一層適地にして、堅固で防御できるような新しい城を築城中であるとの報告が見られる。原城の工事は、1599(慶長4)年にはじまり、1604(慶長9)年に完成したとされる。城内には晴信の屋敷のほか、家臣の屋敷、弾薬や食糧を蓄える三層の櫓があった。

1614(慶長19)年に晴信の子、直純は日向国臼杵郡(宮崎県延岡市)へ転封された後、翌年に発令された一国一城令によって、廃城となった。

 

1992(平成4)年から実施している発掘調査によって、本丸地区から多くの遺構・遺物が出土している。特に、十字架、メダイ、ロザリオの珠などのキリシタン関係遺物は、一揆にまつわる資料である。また、一揆後の幕府による現地処理で、壊され埋め込まれた出入口や櫓台石垣、本丸の正面玄関に相当する出入口などが検出され、原城築城時の遺構や「島原・天草一揆」に対する幕府の対応を示す資料を発見した。

 

1938(昭和13)年5月30日、国指定史跡となる。

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hara Castle was the local feudal lord Arima’s important castle in the Age of Civil Wars.  In 1637 (Kanei 14), it became the main battlefield of an uprising known as the Shimabara Rebellion.

 

Hara Castle was built on a cliff jutting into the sea.  Its surroundings comprise about 4 kilometers, including the main, second and third enclosures; Amakusa enclosure and Hatoyama Promontory.  In the east was the Ariake Sea, while the west and north were surrounded by swamps except for a small part, where the land made a natural fortress.

 

The main enclosure was surrounded by stone walls and the main gate was built in a square shape, which were the characteristics of modern castles: masonry structure technique accomplished in the Nobunaga Oda and Hideyoshi Toyotomi periods such as high stone walls, roof tiles and structures built on foundation stones.  On the other hand, the second and third enclosures were built on the ground, based on the natural landscape.

 

The construction of Hara Castle started in 1599 (Keicho 4) and completed in 1604 (Keicho 9).  The report from Jesuits stated that a new castle was under construction which was much better-located and much-stronger built than Hinoe Castle ? the local feudal lord Harunobu Arima had lived after the Battle of Bunroku and Keicho.  The report also stated that there were Harunobu’s mansion, retainers’ mansions and a three-storied watchtower with an ammunition chamber and provision storage inside Hara Castle.  After the transfer of Naozumi (Harunobu Arima’s son) to Usuki-gun in Hyuganokuni(modern-day Nobeoka City in Miyazaki Prefecture), the castle fell to ruins due to the 1-Castle-in-1-Domain Regulation taking effect the following year.

 

Archaeological excavations have been carried out since 1992 (Heisei 4).  Many relics have been unearthed from the main enclosure.  Particularly, Christian artifacts associated with the Shimabara Rebellion have been excavated including crosses, medals and rosary beads.  The ruins of the main gate, the stone wall bases of the watchtower, and the gateway corresponding to the main entrance of the castle ? which were all demolished and buried by shogunate soldiers after the rebellion ? have also been found.  They indicate how the shogunate dealt with the uprisings in Shimabara and Amakusa.

 

On May 30th, 1938 (Showa 13), Hara Castle Ruins were designated as a National Historic Relic Site.

 

 

 

 

 

 TOP